Safe Exchange Zone
Safe Exchange Zones and clearly marked public places where people can schedule in-person meetings. Mostly used for online purchases, they are also ideally suited for child custody exchanges.
The notoriety of crimes wherein a buyer or seller in an internet-arranged transaction become victimized has created the need for a location where the public has a sense of security. In response, the Throop Police Department welcomes citizens to use the police station parking lot clearly marked as a location to conduct private transactions or custody exchanges.
Members of the police department will not assist in the transaction to include obtaining identification from the buyer or seller, checking serial numbers on items involved in the transaction, or negotiating methods of payment.
The station and Safe Exchange Zone are under video surveillance monitored 24/7. The police department assumes no liability regarding the quality or authenticity of the items involved in the transaction.
General safety tips to keep in mind:
- Insist to meet at a public place.
- Don’t go alone.
- Trust your instincts.
- Do not meet in a secluded area.
- Do not invite strangers into your home, and do not go to theirs.
- Be cautious when buying/selling high value items.
- Perform the transaction during daylight hours.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
- Tell a friend or family member about your intentions.
- Take your cell phone with you